RODEO EQUIPMENT LIST AND SPECS
- Electronic timing light timing to the thousandth (three (3) decimal places).
- Four (4) hand stopwatches. All hand stopwatches used must be the same type and produce the same type of display. Stopwatches will time to the hundredths (two (2) decimal places)
- Time limit horn or buzzer
- Timer/scorekeeper flag
- Speed Events:
- Barrel Racing:
- Three brightly colored fifty-five (55) gallon closed metal drums
- Pole Bending:
- 6 Poles shall be set on top of the ground six feet (6') in height, with no base more than fourteen inches (14") and no less than twelve inches (12") in diameter. The poles shall fit firmly into the bases so that if the pole is bumped it will tend to move the base as well
- Flag Racing:
- Two brightly colored fifty-five (55) gallon closed metal drums
- One pole 6' in height
- Six Pails: five (5) gallon measuring fourteen and one-quarter inches (14 1/4") [+ (plus) or - (minus) one-half inch (1/2")] tall inside dimension and eleven and one-quarter inches (11 1/4") [+ (plus) or - (minus) one-half inch (1/2"] across inside dimension with fill mark on the exterior and/or interior of the pail filled three-quarters (3/4) full
- Any pellet feed measuring 3/16" in size (see comments below)
- 12 Flags: two and one-half foot long (2 1/2'), round one inch (1") diameter pole with one (1) end sharpened to a point and an eight and one-half by eleven inch (8 1/2" X 11") solid red flag attached to the other end will be used. Flag poles shall be set seven inches (7") into the pellets, and pole shall be marked from the bottom accordingly
- Camp Events:
- Steer Decorating:
- Each steer will have a soft cotton twenty-five foot (25') [+ (plus) or - (minus) one foot (1')] long by three-quarters inch (3/4") up to one and one-half inches (1 1/2") diameter rope to include a two and one-half inch (2 1/2") to three inch (3") metal ring attached on the horns of a horned steer such that the ring end of the rope is behind the steers' horns, and the ring end of the rope points away from the arena side of the chute
- Ribbon must be a minimum of seven-eighths inch (7/8") to a maximum of one and one-quarter inch (1 1/4") in width and twenty-four inches (24") in length minimum and must be made of prefab cloth ribbon, not cloth material, cut to proper width by hand. Supplied to each team
- Wild Drag Race:
- Each steer will have a halter with a soft cotton twenty-five foot (25') [+ (plus) or - (minus) one foot (1')] long by three-quarter inch (3/4") up to one and one-half inch (1 1/2") diameter rope attached. Knots are allowed in rope. Ropes must be uniform in diameter
- Goat Dressing:
- Goats shall be tethered with a ten foot (10') [+ (plus) or - (minus) three inches (3")] soft cotton rope to a weighted object which the goats cannot drag
- Goat or large dog harnesses will be used to tether the goats
- The underwear shall all be the same size, style, and brand (Large or XLarge)
- Tool box with standard tools
- 300' and 100' Tape Measures
- Four 50 lb. bags of Flour - Avoid use of chalk because it doesn't dissolve into the dirt as easily
- Four tea pitchers to apply flour lines or softball line marker for wild drag 70 'line
- 6 Heavy-duty Garden Rakes
- Large Animal Skid - 4' x 8'
- Water tanks if not supplied by the arena
- Two-way radios for communication between rodeo officials
- Required Flags on poles for Mounted Entry at Grand Entry:
- United States Flag
- Canadian Flag
- Hosting State or Province Flag
- Optional Flags for Grand Entry:
- Other States & Associations
- Sponsors and Organizations
- Music for United States and Canadian National Anthems
A Note on Feed Pellets:
The pellets that are used in flag racing should be a standard horse or cattle pellet feed (not sweet feed). You will find that the price of cattle feed is less expensive than horse feed. This feed should be available at your local feed store or co-op. The IGRA standard size is 3/16 inch in diameter and this size is very common in these feeds. Avoid alfalfa pellets because they are too large and many of the rabbit pellets are too small.
IGRA has set a standard size because if the pellets are too small, the bucket weight is less and it is easier to tip over. If the pellets are too large, it is difficult to stick the flag stick into the bucket.
Just a hint when you go to buy the feed; do not ask the feed store clerk for 3/16 inch pellets because they will give you a very puzzling look and maybe even a chuckle. It is best to buy one bag and open it. If it's right, get more, if it's wrong buy a cow!! :
Handy Equipment Tips:
Steer Decorating and Wild Drag Race:
The soft cotton rope used in Steer Decorating and Wild Drag Race shrinks if it gets wet. A 25-foot rope can shrink more than a foot. Associations should wet their ropes and let them dry before cutting to length. Associations sometimes find themselves scrambling to make new ropes on the Friday of their rodeo, to the meet the length requirements even though their ropes were new the year before.
Make sure that you use prefab cloth ribbon with finished edges. Paper / poly ribbons that tear very easily are not acceptable.
If you are using the type of pole bases that use sand at the base as a weight, check that all have sand in them, and that they all weigh the same.
First posted May 16, 2015
Last update Jan 1, 2016